By Anthony Michaiel, BECA Senior- Interactive Media
We all strive to be as creative as possible in our work, at least when it’s appropriate. Unfortunately, this isn’t an on and off switch for most people. Creativity is not just being creative on the job, but in your lifestyle. By practicing these few things, you will develop and maintain creativity that can apply in all aspects of your life…
Try new things
- Break your habits. Explore new places. Try doing things differently and changing things up! Our brains function better and more clearly when we build new experiences and observe the world around us. If you are a left brain person, exercise your right. If you take the same route to work every day, try a different one. Stimulate your mind with new things.
- Challenge yourself – don’t take the easiest route. Ask questions.
Keep a journal
- While you’re out exploring, take note of things. Writing ideas down as they come is a good way for our mind to make connections and ultimately pump us with creativity! Make lists. Draw pictures. Keeping your mind active is one of the most effective ways to exercise your creative juices.
Go through the motions
- It is important to actually and literally act creative. Associate with creative circles. Go to creative and stimulating places. Engage in discussions. Think aloud. Sit down and make something with your hands! It will be really rewarding and will result in a snowball effect of creativity.
- Practice, practice, practice. Many creative geniuses force themselves to come up with a quota of new ideas every day. Finish what you start. Practice determination, motivation, and all those ‘cheesy’ things we always hear about.
- Pay attention to the world around you. It is constantly speaking. All we need to do is listen. Making and building connections does just that in our brain. The more connections you make (and follow through with) the more neural connections you have.
- This seems really obvious, but we forget. Keep up on relevant news and events – whatever interests you. Educate yourself. Read books. Read the news. Keep your mind active. Feed your brain.
Other simple ways to spark your creativity:
- Get rest, wake up early
- Manage your time
- Organize your workspace
- Think outside the box in everything you do
- Challenge your assumptions
- Psyche yourself into believing that you can (and are) doing it!